Created July 2020; Expires July 2023
Course is one hour and participants who successfully complete the post-test will earn one CE credit.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance for dentistry has three components: Privacy Rules, Security Rules and High Tech/Breach Notification. These rules are not specific for dentistry but apply to all areas of health care, which can make them seem very complex and even overwhelming. This lecture seeks to assist dental practices in complying with the requirements of HIPAA.
Upon completion of this lecture, participants should be able to:
- Describe the purpose of and the three parts to the HIPAA Omnibus Rule.
- Identify documentation required for HIPAA compliance.
- Analyze HIPAA compliance in their dental practice facility.
- Develop strategies for compliance with HIPAA privacy and security rules.
- Establish initial and annual training programs for their practice or facility.
||$0 - PDA Member dentist (complimentary)
$50 - ADA Member dentist
$100 - Nonmember dentist
$20 - Hygienists, Assistants & Non-licensed staff
|1 credit hour recommended for dentists, hygienists, assistants and non-licensed staff
Cancellation policy: No refunds are issued for online CE courses.
PDA is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
PDA designates this activity for 1 (one) continuing education credit.
Important registration information:
Non-dentist dental team members and non-member dentists may contact PDA at (717) 234-5941, Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to establish a username and password. After hours, email PDA's membership department who will assist you on the next business day.
1. Sign in to the website with your user name and password. Note: Every PDA member dentist has a user name and password. For most dentists, your website default username is your first initial, last name and four-digit year of birth with no spaces, no punctuation. The password is lowercase ada and your ADA number. If you don't remember your username and password, please contact PDA's membership department.
2. Click the Register Myself button. Pricing will be applied based on your member status.
3. If payment is required, enter your credit card information.
4. Click Submit Order to complete your registration. You have 24/7 access to the program for 6-months from the date of registration. Launch the course by clicking the Online CE button on the Self-Study Courses tab of the Event Calendar. Click the button Go to your Learning Center and then launch the course. If the course does not play, copy the URL of the web page https://learn.padental.org/topclass/ and add it as an allowed site under pop-up blockers. For assistance, Google instructions to add an allowed website for the browser you use to search the internet. Launch the course again.
5. Upon successful completion of the post-test, a verification of participation form will be saved in your Learning Center. To access your Learning Center, click the Online CE button above the list of courses on the Prerecorded Events tab of the Event Calendar. Click the button Go to your Learning Center. The verification of participation forms for online courses completed with PDA will be under the Completed tab.Click View Certificate to print the form or save a copy to your computer.
If you have questions, contact PDA at (717) 234-5941 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.