A patient has asked for a copy of his/her records but they are behind in payments. Can I withhold their records until a reasonable effort is made to pay their bill?

No. According to the Dental Law, dental records, including copies of radiographs and orthodontic models, shall be furnished within 30 days of request either gratuitously or for a fee reflecting the cost of reproduction, regardless of a patient’s outstanding balance.

Answer is informational only and not intended as legal advice. Answer may contain excerpts from The ADA Practical Guide to Frequently Asked Legal Questions.